You may experience Missing File Privileges Error while updating/ installing your game on Steam. In addition to this error, people may also get other errors. But, if you are looking for the solutions for “How to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges Error?” stay on this page. Go through the below section and try those to update your game successfully.
Top 15 Fixes for Steam Missing File Privileges Error
Here are the simple certified top solutions to fix Steam Missing File Privileges Issue. Generally, this problem rises on Windows while installing or updating a game from Steam. Intel igfxEm module will be the first cause for Steam file privilege errors because of some corruption.
When you are not having Intel onboard graphics, at that time also, this error may run. Other cause for this error is server overloads shutdowns in you region. Follow these 15 methods to fix Steam’s Missing File Privileges Error.
1. Restart Your PC
This is the most obvious solution for many errors not only Steam Missing File Privilege. I think this is the best to get on with it and try it. If it doesn’t work, we have given some other fixes.
2. Change Your Download Region
Your download region impacts not only on the speed and availability of your download. Being connected to the corrupt or sluggish or download server can rise a steam missing file privilege error.
This can be fixed by following these steps.
- With the help of application open/ steam client, click on the Steam menu item and select settings.
- Hit on Downloads button.
- From the Download Region, select a different region but make sure that it is close to you.
- Click on Ok button.
- Steam will them prompt you to restart the client.
Besides fixing the issue, this method is also helpful when your steam download is slow or keeps stopping.
3. Stop and Fix the igfxEm Module
igfxEm module interfaces the steam. This is the best solution in that situation.
- Hit on Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard to run the windows task manager.
- Click on Details/ Processes tab.
- Sort the processes as according to the Image Name of Name for making it easier for yourself.
- In the list of available, search for the igfxEm.exe or igfxem.exe.
- Click on the process and then select End task/ process button near the Task Manager.
And that’s done.
4. Run Steam with Administrator Privileges
To run steam with administrator privileges, follow the following steps –
- Close the steam client. You can run Steam with Administrator Privileges by opening the Task Manager, find Steam Clint Bootsrapper and kill it by hitting the End Task.
- Give a right click on the Steam shortcut on your taskbar or desktop and select Run as administrator from the context menu. If you don’t have a Steam Shortcut on your desktop or taskbar, then navigate to the Steam Folder in Program Files, locate Steam executable and run it as an administrator from there.
5. Verify Integrity of Steam Game Files
Follow the steps –
- Run the Steam.
- Search for the game that is giving you the Steam file privilege issue and do right click on it.
- Select properties, click on Local Files.
- Find Verify Integrity of Game Files and click on it.
6. Repair Steam Library Folder
These steps are to be followed –
- Run Steam.
- Select Steam menu item and go to Settings from the context menu.
- Click on the Settings labeled Downloads.
- Under the Content Libraries section, click on the Steam Library Folders.
- Right click on the Steam Library Folder and select Repair Library Folder from the context menu.
7. Verify if SteamApp Folder Has the Right Permissions
Follow the steps given below –
- Ensure that Steam client is closed completely.
- Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to where your Steam Folder is available.
- Right click on it to select Properties from the context menu.
- Click on the security tab and edit button.
- Check whether each editable user is having all possible permissions under Allow. Verify that none of the boxes under Deny are ticked.
- Click on Ok button.
8. Grant Full Permissions to the File
The steps to do this are –
- Read the error message carefully.
- Close the client steam.
- Navigate to the file path and right click on it.
- Choose the Security tab.
- Click on Edit button.
- Ensure that all editable users have the Full control box under Allow ticked. In addition to this, verify that none of the boxes under Deny are ticked.
- Hit in the Ok button.
9. Delete the Problem File(s)
- Ensure that the Steam client is closed.
- Look at the error dialog from Steam and make a note of the directory of the file in question.
- Use Windows File Explorer to find the file and delete it.
10. Clear Steam’s Download Cache
To clear the cache, the steps are-
- Run Steam.
- Select Steam menu item and click on Settings.
- Hit Download at the settings tab.
- Click on the Clear Download Cache button.
- A message will display informing you that this procedure will clear your entire local download cache. Click on Ok button if you want to proceed.
11. Uninstall and Reinstall the Game
This works for most users –
- Run the Steam client application.
- Find the game which is facing issues in your library and right click on it.
- Select Uninstall from the pop up.
- Click on Delete.
- Go to the Steam store, get the game and install it again.
12. Manually Delete the Entire Game Folder
One of the solution for fixing Steam Missing File Privileges is delete the entire game folder. In some cases, uninstalling the game from steam doesn’t enough. So, delete the folder and check it.
13. Create a New Steam Library Folder
To create a new steam library folder, you have to –
- Run the Steam client.
- Select Steam menu from the top menu bar.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on the Download setting.
- Hit on Steam Library Folders under the Content Libraries section.
- At the Steam Library Folder screen, click on the “Add Library Folder”.
- You can either choose existing path or new path.
- After creating the new Steam library, you can set it as default.
14. Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus
Your computer antivirus may cause prevent your Bluestacks engine from starting up or update issues with Discord. Your antivirus may be giving you a false positive on some of steams game files. So disable it while updating your game.
15. Contact Steam Support
If no one of the above works good to resolve the Steam Missing File Privileges, then double check graphics card drivers are up to date. If the problems remains same, then contact steam support.
While Steam may have its problems, its better than Origin. Here we have given the 15 best solution for How to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges.